Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Issue Installing CRM 2016 SRS Data Connector with SQL 2016

In my last post, I mentioned that I had received some Windows Server 2016 boxes to test setup of CRM 2016/Dynamics 365. In addition to them being the 2016 OS, they also came with SQL Server 2016. The installation of CRM went off without a hitch (after working through the Search service problem) and the databases created in SQL as expected.

However, when it came to installation of the SRS Data Connector, things got a little hairy. The installation began but quickly threw this error message:

Error| System.Exception: Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.SrsDataConnector.AddBindingRedirectForRdlHelper failed. ---> System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS13.MSSQLSERVER\Reporting Services\ReportManager\web.config'.

To make a long story short, SQL 2016 no longer creates/uses the path specified in the error message and the RTM Data Connector installer does not check the version of SSRS being used so it will just keep trying to use that directory.

Now, I had some previous experience installing the Data Connector with SQL 2016 involved. From that, I recalled that the installer, when asked to check for updates on the first screen, actually went out and got some new install bits. This time around I was not so lucky – it just told me there were no updates available (I even verified that the Windows Firewall was off and that the box was allowing Windows Updates)… it had internet access but if you’re reading this and your SQL server does not have access to the internet, you should keep reading. Regardless, I needed a solution and the internet was not full of suggestions with this being pretty new technology.

I decided to check the Microsoft Update Catalog to see if I could download and manually patch the update in. To my delight, I came across a listing for “Setup Update for Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2016 Reporting Extensions” and this ultimately helped solve my issue. Here is a step-by-step process of what to do if you are facing the same situation:

1. If your initial install failed, go into the server’s control panel and uninstall the data connector.

2. Go to

3. Search for “3129794” and you should get back one listing. Click the download button.

4. A new screen will pop up with a ton of .cab files. Find the one named “” (just look for 1033) and download that. I will admit that I am not sure of the purpose of all these files but the 1033 one did the trick for me. Later on, you will notice that another file we work with is also “1033” so that probably has something to do with it.

5. Once you have the .cab file downloaded to the server, open it up to reveal the patch file. Right-click on it and choose “Extract”.

6. After the extraction, you will have the .msp file available for use. Go to the directory of the SRS Data Connector’s installation files and locate a folder named “Update”. In here, you will see another .msp file named “Srs_KB3121695_Amd64_1033”.

7. Cut and paste that file out of the “Update” folder – just put it anywhere else on the server.

8. Copy and paste the .msp you just downloaded into the now blank “Update” folder - essentially replacing it.

You should go from this:
To this:

9. Re-run the installer as normal and it should complete without issue.

Just to note a few things:
  • I initially played a bunch of trial and error with getting the update patched in before I discovered the ability to replace the .msp in the Update folder. I first went down the path of editing the config.xml to include the patch and then called the installer from a command line specifying it to use the config file. This is how I have always patched in updates for the server installer but it does not seem to work the same way for the Data Connector. I also tried loading the patch into the temp files that the installer looks to… also didn’t work.
  • If your base installer’s update file has a different number than “1033” at the tail end of it, you may need to match it up with the correct .cab file from the Update Catalog. I did not encounter this scenario so I cannot test or prove out this theory but I think logic dictates… 
  • There is another blog out there about applying SP1/2 to the failed installation and then manually editing file structure. I will not discredit that being a possible workaround but personally, I do not like the idea of relying on an update to fix a broken install.

Good luck!


  1. This blog is very much helpful to us. Thanks for your information


  2. Customer Relation is the keypoint of any business. Kanhasoft is crm software development company provining solutions to offshore clients. Our CRM developers build CRM system from the scratch to meet your business needs.

  3. That is very interesting; you are a very skilled blogger. I have shared your website in my social networks! A very nice guide. I will definitely follow these tips. Thank you for sharing such detailed article.

    CRM for Small Business

  4. This is my first visit to your web journal! We are a group of volunteers and new activities in the same specialty. Website gave us helpful data to work. sales automation crm

  5. Thank you very much Sir. This helped me a lot.